Yes… few more days and it will be my 1 month anniversary with the Nokia flagship device, N96.
I guess it’s time I write about the 3 things I love and hate about it.
Let’s start with the things I like on the N96.
– The big screen… I think all phones should have screen as big as this(touchscreens not included).. 2.8″ is what I think should be the standard for all mobile phone screens from now on.. and it better be… or else many of us will have to squint our eyes in order to read SMS or to surf the web.
– The SUPER LOUDSPEAKER… I have never thought a phone can be as loud as this. Once I showed my friend a video on the N96 and he had to give it back to me after like 10 seconds cos he couldn’t stand the ear piercing loudness on the N96 at 100% volume… hahah but it was good though… cos he commented that the sound was damn loud but it doesn’t break… and the bass was good too.
– The new vertical bar shortcuts on main screen… Yes it has been around since the N78 but not my N82. ahha so yea its new to me. With the shortcuts aligned to the side of the screen, I can now put up my nice wallpaper while having the shortcuts on. Very handy. It links to more apps and options in the phone too. Imagine accessing some settings in the “tools > settings > phone > general” with just 2 clicks.
– The build quality of the N96… I admit it is now a lot more solid looking then my old N95 but seriously.. it makes no difference. The top part of the phone (the part with the screen) moves about 1mm up and down when its not slided out. Very disturbing. Other than that, the backplate/cover of the phone is very flimsy and thin that it feels very plasticky
– Super slow… I have upgraded the firmware twice within 1 month of usage. Nokia knew how slow it was thats why they rolled out 2 updates to fix it… but somehow opening new SMS, replying SMS and switching from a running app to the main menu takes about 10 seconds respectively. Sometimes it only takes about 5 seconds which makes me go “WOW, why suddenly so fast?”. haha
– The camera… Somehow I feel that my old N95 took better pictures. At times, when you take photos at dark places, the photo will turn to black and white.. literally… yea I don’t know why this happens but every time I point my phone to a dark place the photo will lose its colour.. and I had to change the white balance in order to bring out the colours again. .. but anyway, the N96 can really take good photos provided if the lighting and ambience is good especially close up shots. I can say that it surpasses my old N95 and N82.