The Nokia XpressMusic touchscreen device finally gets a v20 firmware update and seems like it’s not available for all Nokia 5800. I wonder why.
There, it says “v20 available! Get yourself a copy now! *while stocks last” lol kidding.
Fortunately, when I checked on the device update screen, it says that the new version is available to download and install. I quickly installed it over-the-air(OTA) and I was happy to see my phone booted up with all my data and settings intact, thanks to the user data preservation (UDP) feature which was introduced in Nokia N82.
A screenshot of my firmware info after updating.
I noticed some fixes and changes..
- Geotagging information now available in Camera (finally).
- Dictionary application added, with support for multiple languages (as first seen on E66 and E71).
- App. update application added (as first seen on N85 and N79) – this is used to update individual Nokia applications outside of firmware updates.
- General operation seems smoother, better performance is various applications, including Gallery, plus screen rotations are faster.
- Playing back Flash/FLVvideos had less hiccups, especially on YouTube.
- ‘Search’ on the standby screen now searches phone content as well as on the Internet
- Bigger tabs above messaging menu and everywhere else.
- New “Downloads” and “Podcasts” icon and refreshed music player interface.
My excitement was then turned off when I realised the ‘Search function’ leads to an ERROR popup. I was shocked to find out that this new feature added in v20 not able to be used.
Apparently you need to soft reset the phone in order to make it work. To do the soft reset, just press “*#7370#* and the lock code is 12345. It will then reset your phone to look like brand new, without your settings and installed apps… that’s why you need to backup your settings, contacts, sms and calendar entries first before doing the soft reset (you can do this by accesing settings > file manager > backup)
I was happy again cos I can now use the ‘Search’ feature to search contents in my phone….
Another nightmare happened. My gallery now freezes everytime I try to open a photo or video. This, I have no solutions to fix. So the only way for me to access my photos and videos now is through the file manager.
Anyone having the same problem as me after updating the firmware? Do let me know.