At the Apple Education Event just few hours ago, they launched iBooks 2, a new version of the their e-book software for iOS devices. The update was made as a move to push into interactive digital textbooks which will be implemented on the iPad.
From the iBooks 2 description:
Introducing iBooks 2 — now with iBooks textbooks.
– Experience gorgeous Multi-Touch textbooks designed for iPad
– iBooks textbooks are filled with interactive features, diagrams, photos, and videos
– Tap to dive into images with interactive captions, rotate 3D objects, swipe through image galleries, watch videos in full screen, and more
– Use a finger as a highlighter when swiping over text in a textbook
– Take advantage of Study Cards to help you memorize important highlights, notes, and glossary terms
– Tap glossary terms to see definitions of key topics and concepts without leaving the page
So with this new move by Apple, they intend to digitalize textbooks so kids do not need to bring heavy books with them anymore.
Find out more on Apple’s website.