Yahoo! just announced a messenger app for iOS which combines video call and texting in one. Ultimately, users can text like usual, but the the 2 parties can see each other via video as well.
Connecting with your friends should be spontaneous, convenient and memorable – but also fleeting, just like a real-life conversation. So today, we’re introducing Yahoo Livetext – a new way to communicate that blends the immediacy, simplicity and ease of texting with the expressiveness of video, without the audio. We see video as a way to make your conversations more authentic, and we see text as a way to connect that’s quick and non-intrusive. We think you’re really going to love it.
Yahoo Livetext puts your words and your friend’s real-time reactions at the center of your conversation. Whether you’re watching Avicii DJ at the Creamfields Festival, at Venice Beach or taking in the view from the Eiffel Tower, you can spontaneously connect with the people you care about and invite them to experience moments with you.
Your friend’s goofy look or giant smile, even her eye roll or silent sigh, suddenly become a part of your conversation. Simple conversations are transformed into vivid, authentic and memorable experiences that you can share anytime.
• FREE FOREVER: You and your friends can live video text as much as you want! Livetext uses your internet connection (Wi-Fi when available and your cell connection otherwise.)
• ONE-TO-ONE: Not for group messaging, it’s like you’re passing notes in class.
• TEXT + LIVE VIDEO: Both at the same time – it’s amazing.
• NO CALLS: Just live video text your friends and you’ll see them instantly when they enter chat.
• ADD FRIENDS: Use their Livetext ID or your address book contacts to connect.
• PROFILE PICTURE: Use any image to show your friends who you are.
Currently the app is only available in certain App Stores and will be made available widely soon.